Monday, December 23, 2013

Soft and Pretty Christmas Cards

Hello everyone! It is down to the wire, and if you still need to make some Christmas cards, these simple designs will be great for you to try! (I originally made these cards for Couture Creations, but since I used all WorldWin cardstock, I decided to share the cards here as well.)

The two cards I want to share today are in a "country Christmas" theme. I wanted the cards to be fairly easy to mail. I also wanted to create some cards that use embossing folders - which show off the amazing cardstock - plus just a few, simple items so that you could make a bunch of cards at one time. (Both cards are standard size - 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 or A2.)
For this card, I simply made a card base from ColorMates Original Deep Racy Raspberry cardstock and lined it with Kraft cardstock (for adding a sentiment on the inside of the card). I then embossed another piece of Kraft cardstock with a Christmas-themed embossing folder that is folder and greeting all in one.
Using a Sponge Dauber, I gently rubbed white ink over the embossed cardstock. I love the "snowy" look of the white ink on the kraft cardstock. After I trimmed the panel to size, I rubbed more white ink around the edges.
To finish the card, I added some twine and a faux vintage button.
The card has a lot of texture and interest, but is actually quite flat, and easy to mail. If you are worried about the button making the card too bulky, you could just add the twine and leave the button off. 

I decided to create a second card using the "chalk ink" technique. This is one of my all-time-favorite embossing techniques. It's an oldie, but a goodie!

I created an card base with ColorMates Smooth and Silky Beach cardstock and embossed ColorMates Original Deep Berry Red cardstock with the embossing folder.
This time, I rubbed the embossed cardstock with a creamy white ink for a softer look. To add some extra fun to the card, I placed self-adhesive pearls on a few of the berries. (This makes the card a bit bulkier. You may need to add a sheet of thin cardstock to the inside of your envelope when mailing this one.)

The sentiment is something that I cut from designer paper and matted with Heritage Black cardstock. So easy! You can find lots of premade sentiments and sayings to make card making go quickly -  when you are in a last minute rush!

I also created a lace flower from a scrap of leftover lace. To make the little blossom, simply use some thread to place a running stitch across one long edge of the lace. Pull the threads to gather the lace, and tie off the ends. I added a pearl to the center of the flower. I also die cut a swirl from ColorMates Smooth and Silky Barley Grass cardstock to use behind my lace flower. 

I hope you are inspired to create some quick and easy Christmas cards! Thanks for joining me today! 

~ Gloria (Scraps of Life)


WorldWin Papers:
ColorMates Original Deep Racy Raspberry, Deep Berry Red, Heritage Black
Kraft
ColorMates Smooth and Silky Beach, Barley Grass

Other Supplies:
Designer paper: Heidi Swapp Believe
Stamping ink: Clearsnap Colorbox Pigment Cream White; Stampin' Up Whisper White
Button: Stampin' Up
Lace: Really Reasonable Ribbon
Twine: May Arts
Die cuts: Couture Creations Mimi
Embossing folders: Couture Creations Christmas Lyrics, Moonlit Berries
Self-Adhesive Pearls: Couture Creations

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty cards! I need to try my hand at that pretty lace flower. Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete